Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas is...magical?

This last week we celebrated all that is related to Christmas. It was busy to say the least. Brandon had Christmas Eve off so we did have more time to spend together, but as we'd apparently not planned on having a toddler who suddenly has decided that everything we usually do, as in every day routines, are now call for outright rebellion and murderous screams. We had a nice breakfast Christmas Eve morning, Laylah didn't eat a bite. Then Brandon went last minute shopping while Laylah and I made cut out cookies to decorate. This was mostly successful except for the fact that she kept insisting, no matter what I did, that the cookies cutters should cut the cookies backwards, and when I'd try to show her how to do it right so that the cookies were actually cut and not just squished all over the place, she of course had a fit. After this we tried napping, I put her down in her crib and she went to sleep, then I went out to get one last thing for her stocking. Brandon had returned at this point. Apparently she woke up the minute I left, and I was back about thirty minutes later and she was still upset. So I lay down with her. She finally kind of slept but woke up at 3. So we still had to ice the cookies and we sat down to do this, these were the cookies we were leaving for Santa so I wanted her to have a part in them. It took maybe fifteen minutes and then I started trying to get her dressed. This has started to be one of the biggest tantrums of the day. Screams, kicks, tears, will not get dressed, will not let me change her diaper that is falling off it's sooo full. I've tried letting her pick stuff out, Brandon doing it. Telling her far in advance, explaining that we are going out and where to get her excited, telling her she'll get a treat, letting her watch tv while getting dressed, nothing works. Anyway, we finally forced her into her dress, by this time Brandon is seething, we're leaving the house on Christmas Eve for mass at 4 at 3:45. Well, the thing about that is that I'm the one that asked him when he wanted to go, did all the research, he didn't seem to care, when I proposed going at 4 because it said it was the nativity scene thing with kids, it did not say it was a mass, I thought it was an actual little nativity play, he said fine. So we get there, of course there's no parking, he gets more angry by the second, we get in the overflow area, of course there is nowhere to sit, and guess what, it's a mass. So I take Laylah down to their school area where there are several kids running around while he stays in the church. I ask this, I'm not Catholic, I don't know all the terms, what everything is, why am I in charge of figuring out when we should go and where and all that and then when it's not what he wanted get blamed for it? He was pissy the rest of the day because the church was too full. Well, what did he expect? should we have gone at 2 to get parking and seats and sat there for three hours with a restless toddler? Apparently so. Anyway, after mass we went home and I made fondu, which turned out well except again Laylah ate nothing. I seriously don't know what the child lives on. We watched MIracle on 34th street and talked about Santa and stockings and presents, we did her last advent chocolate which she loved. We then put out the cookies for Santa, tried reading NIght Before Christmas except she wouldn't let Brandon sit next to her so it was difficult. When she was finally in bed we dragged out all the boxes, wrapped some last minute things and somehow fit it all under the tree. Then we had some eggnog, the good kind and watched Dexter, for those of you who don't know is about the un-christmassiest thing you can watch, it's about a good serial killer. She's up now and I'm having issues typing while she's trying to fondle/nurse on my boobs, so I'll go now and write the conclusion of our wonderful holiday extravaganza plus ham next time.

No comments: