Wednesday, December 30, 2009

NO! Boobie first!

First off I have to say that the snuggie is possibly one of the best inventions of the twenty-first century, or twentieth for that matter, and why the heck had no one thought to put arms on blankets before? It's....heavenly. Everyone should have one, the government should hand out snuggies at birth with social security cards. For those of you living in Hawaii I would even go so far as to say that you should order one, pump up the AC to frigid, just to feel the full effect of wonderfulness, however this may negatively affect your electric bill. Anyway, today I'm writing about a control mechanism that I find both funny and extremely annoying at times. Every time, without fail, that I get up from doing anything with Laylah, even if it's to go to the bathroom, to get a different book, get something she's asked for, make dinner, anything, she grabs hold of me and says, "No! Boobie First!" she proceeds to have to nurse not just one but both breasts, even if for only a second each, before letting me go do whatever. Brandon thinks it's because she think I might be gone a while and wants to make sure to top off before the opportunity goes away, but I think she knows I generally let her nurse whenever she wants and it's not that she does it only when I leave the house, not that I almost ever do that without her anyway, I think she does it to show me who's really in control. You can go but I'll be watching, you can go but before you do, remember your real purpose, you can go but only because I'm letting you go, not because you want or need to. And in some cases it can get desperate, trying to a explain to an almost potty training (in other words trying to persuade her to potty train and rarely succeeding) that you have to go potty when you have to go potty and you can't just go in your pants, well, it does not work. Actually applying any kind of logic to any situation doesn't work at the moment. No, Mommy can't go down the baby slide with you, have you noticed that Mommy is big enough to squash it if she wanted to? No, Mommy does not fit in your crib to jump with you. Now there are times when lessons can be demonstrated and logical conclusions reached by a two year old. For example, the day after Christmas Laylah decided she wanted to take her baby for a walk outside with her new stroller. She had not gotten dressed yet and didn't want to, would not even put on shoes to go outside in below forty degrees. She proceeded to have a fit about it when I tried telling her it was too cold to go outside sans shoes and coat, let alone getting dressed. Finally I said fine, if she insisted on going outside in the cold with no shoes, go, see for yourself little princess. Brandon was dressed so he took her outside. She made it to the end of the sidewalk where the cars are parked, turned to Brandon and asked where now? Brandon said for her to decide, she looked around and said, "Home!" then she ran back to the door. I let her in and she told me, "Mommy, I'm COOOOOOOLD!" while hugging herself. I said, yup, that's what happens when you go outside without shoes and a coat in winter. I can hope she learned the lesson but I doubt it, maybe after a few more tries. Still, it was kind of nice getting to say I told you so to a two year old, and for a moment having the control in my hands. Didn't last long, her next words were, "Boobie NOW!"

1 comment:

Jane graves said...

She is so precious and smart. She has your number as do all 2 year old children. You will never win just enjoy the ride. Brandon of course was perfect. Dad use to say he could have raised himself. Wesley on the other hand needed constant direction LOVE YOU ALL