Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas part deux

Like the Charlie Sheen reference? hehe. Anyway, Christmas morning. Laylah wakes up, I jump out of bed to tell Brandon to get the camera ready so we can tape her expression when she sees the wonder of Christmas presents under the tree and what does she do. She lays down on the floor outside our bedroom and acts like she just wants to go back to bed! I'm like huh? So I ask her if she wants to go night night again and she says no, sighs, stays there. Then I tell her to go see if Santa came. She finally stirs and tromps into the living room where Brandon is waiting. She walks in, takes a look at the presents under the tree and kind of gives it the look of, "So? That's there every day. What's the big deal??" Meanwhile I'm hopping up and down and exclaiming that Santa came and does she want to open presents and which one and look at the cookie Santa ate, and she kind of looks at me like, "geez Mom take chill pill already!" I finally convince her to go sit under the tree to open something and she starts getting excited and stupid parent that I am I hand her the one gift that will prolong the present opening phase at least four hours. A tube of plastic fish. Yes, a tube of plastic fish. It was $5. She must have it open right NOW! and then we don't get her attention again to open anything for what seems like an hour. We try to tempt her with dollies, books, she looked up briefly for the all important sparkly shoes, which had to be put on over her footy pajamas right NOW! But always back to the plastic fish in the tube. We took a break, ate Monkey Bread and coffee. Anyway, it took a long long time to open presents. Once she got into it and put aside the plastic fish we still had to open every toy, book, and box, right NOW! She got two babies, a stroller that had a take out bed part, some dresses, several thousand books, a tea set which Brandon and I spent time each taking turns playing with her with at her little table, a little people airplane and car, a talking alphabet book, a talking thomas the train laptop, puzzles, craft books, stuffed animals, and of course the red hat, pink hat, sparkly shoes and green present. The all important green present was actually the tube of fish so maybe she knew all along why she wanted a green present, it was fate. After most of the presents were opened we went to bed to take a nap, all three of us. It was cozy. When she woke up I wanted to get her dressed and tae pictures with all her loot and open stockings and video with grandparents, but this did not work as planned. She refused to get dressed. Struggle struggle, scream, kick, and don't change her nasty stiny poopie diaper for the love of GOD! I'm beginning to think she grows attached to her stinky diapers, like they are her bestest friend. Today she went so far as to run screaming to the diaper pail after I'd put in the latest addition and try to open it to get it back out to put back on. It was actually quite funny if it wasn't also totally disgusting. Anyway, I digress, The not getting dressed part lasted well into talking to Grandma. I'd given up at this point and told her if she wanted to be naked and cold that was just fine. I had to make dinner. I made "Ode to our new Home" Ham, (meaning Coke basted Ham), cranberry wild rice dressing, aspergrass, (yes that's how I say it too!) biscuits, and sweet potato mush. It was all pretty good. Except that we got it all done, ready to eat, table set, and Laylah had a fit about not eating at the table. She wanted to eat on the floor. This lasted another ten minutes because I really wanted to have us all eat at the table and enjoy christmas dinner together like we did at Thanksgiving, it's a rare thing and I wanted it! But no, so I put her food on the floor and Brandon and I proceeded to eat our dinner at the table while she complained the whole time. When she realize she was actually hungry she wanted to eat my dinner, at which point I let her because frankly it was Christmas, she eats nothing as it is, and I was just tired. After dinner we all played with more of her toys. She's very good with the laptop game and the alphabet book. Knows all her letters, pushes the right buttons when they ask, it's quite fun to watch her. We also had fun pushing her babies in the stroller and giving them bottles and babas. She then took a bath with all of her plastic tube animals (she actually got four tubes worth of them) and then we read ten of her new books before putting her to sleep a very spoiled girl. Brandon and I watched another episode of Dexter, which was actually the last one in Season 2 so now we can't get more till netflix actually send them instead of watching them online like we were. Ugh. OH, also, I got red flannel long underwear pajamas with feet from Brandon, with a buttflap. Very sexy I must say. I also got several books to enjoy in the new year, a beautiful necklace from my parents, a snuggie (best thing ever), more pajamas, dvds, gloves, socks, calendars, and chocolates. A good haul all in all. Brandon did well with two new video games, clothes for work, lots of books, and gift certificates. Laylah won Christmas by far with the most presents. Here's the thing though, next morning she wakes up, runs into the living room, looks around with a confused expression and turns to Brandon and says, "Where my presents?" She totally thought it was going to be a daily occurance from then on. Maybe this is why she's been such a little brat lately. and I don't say that lightly, I would not call my child a brat unless she royally deserved it. But maybe she thinks every day when she wakes up that there will be presents under the tree for her and when there aren't it just starts her day off on a bad note. That's what I'm telling myself anyway, I'm really hoping it's not her sincere wish to watch Mickey Mouse Club every second of every day, to never change her diaper, and to scream and kick every time Mommy asks her to do anything. It's just that she is feeling what every child feels, Christmas is over and it won't come around again for a long long time, and I remember how that made you sad even if you'd had the best Christmas ever, you were still sad to realize tomorrow wasn't Christmas anymore.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The fun about reading this one is how much Laylah repeated that her biographer did about thirty years ago.

Jane graves said...

A Brat my Grandbaby I think not